~Come Cook with Me and see why I love what I do~
Posted on June 30, 2016
As many of you know I was born in Scotland,and though I’ve lived here for most of my life,there will always be a piece of Scotland in my heart. This is why my first recipe I’m going to share is my version of Scottish Tablet. Lets get started.
1 x can condensed milk
1 x cup of cream
41/2 x cups of white sugar
1/2 x cup of cold cubed butter
Pinch of salt
1 x teaspoon vanilla
1 x teaspoon ground ginger (not a part of the traditional version but I adore what this spice brings to the party)
1. Line a 13 x 18 inch pan with baking paper
2. Place all ingredients into a heavy base pot (I use my cast iron favourite)
3. Over a medium heat bring to the boil stirring constantly.Once boiling turn the heat down to low and continue to stir until the mix reaches 115 degrees Celsius or until a small amount of the mixture when dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water. (I find this stage takes between 18-25 minutes to reach)
4. Once the mixture is a light tan colour remove the pot from the heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the tablet mix cools and thickens.
Be extremely careful whilst doing this as the mix is extremely hot, and prepare yourself for a fabulous arm work out as this stage takes about 20 minutes.
5. Stop beating when you feel the mixture is thick and grainy.
6. Pour the mixture into the lined pan then score the Tablet with a knife into squares.
7. Allow to cool and set overnight then cut the Tablet right through into squares
Store at room temperature.
I cut and bag mine as it jumps off the shelf in the Cafe!
The perfect gift of love for family and friends or for yourself and perfect with a cup of coffee.
~ Alba gu bràth ~
Owner and Head Chef
The Pantry HQ
0488 282 832